Emacs Verbose Character Entry (was Private Use Areas)

Janusz S. Bień via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Aug 24 12:10:02 CDT 2018

On Thu, Aug 23 2018 at 22:15 +0100, unicode at unicode.org writes:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2018 21:47:03 +0200
> "Janusz S. Bień via Unicode" <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:
>
>> My needs are very simple, for example C-x 8 Return LATIN CAPITAL
>> LETTER A WITH MACRON AND BREVE [MUFI] should yield the character with
>> the code E010. I can provide the list of names and codes.
>
> While it should obviously yield, if anything, <U+0100, U+0306> or
> <U+0041, U+0304, U+0306> for 'LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH MACRON AND
> BREVE',

In my opinion there is no question what

'LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH MACRON AND BREVE'

should yield, because the name should be absent on the name list.

My example concerns names like

'LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH MACRON AND BREVE [MUFI]'
'COMBINING ABBREVIATION MARK SUPERSCRIPT UR ROUND R FORM [MUFI]'

etc.

[...]

> The Emacs command "C-x 8 RET" expects the name of a single codepoint.

It's OK and in my opinion it should stay this way.

Best regards

Janusz

--
             ,