Thoughts on Emoji Selection Process

Julian Wels via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Aug 14 09:55:08 CDT 2018

I mean I'd love to have this discussion, and maybe you could even turn me
around to your side of this argument if the current way of Emoji
development wouldn't be such a hot mess. My initial mail essentially said:
"Stop adding random stuff, until you find a way to streamline your
process." (in an abstract sense). So I'm just generally against
uncontrolled development.

If the ESC were to say: "We committed ourselves to add around 10 Emojis
each year, representing another culture." then this would be amazing. But
it appears that right now they'd say: "We committed ourselves to embrace
different cultures with Emoji.", then add 50 western Emoji, 36 Indian, and
12 African and then never speak of it again.

So for me, it's all about controlled development that leaves us with a
clean and well-organized set of Emojis. Right now it shows that can't have
that due to a lack of communication and ambitions on the part of the ESC.

Julian ��