Thoughts on Emoji Selection Process

James Kass via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sat Aug 11 16:58:36 CDT 2018

Charlotte Buff wrote,

⇒ Mark Davis hates me already for rightfully calling
⇒ out his many shortcomings, so I might as well say it
⇒ like it is and alienate the rest of the ESC as well.

Nobody's perfect.  We all have our strengths and weaknesses; it's part
of the human condition.  Although alienating people can bring
considerable short-term satisfaction, in the long run building bridges
trumps building walls.

Conventional character encoding concerns may well be of secondary
importance with respect to emoji.  The driving force may have more to
do with sales and marketing.  In this regard, emoji are "special".
Hence, if we approach emoji encoding issues in the traditional manner,
ESC decisions might appear baffling or unreasonable.  But if we
broaden our horizons and allow that sales and marketing concerns are a
factor, we might gain a little clarity and a better understanding.

Just sayin'.  ☺