Submissions open for 2020 Emoji

Mark Davis ☕️ via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Apr 19 07:32:15 CDT 2018

> imagine I discover that someone has already proposed the emoji that I am
interested in

In some cases we've have contacted people to see if they want to engage
with other proposers. But to handle larger numbers we'd need a simple,
light-weight way to let people know, while maintaining people's privacy
when they want it.

> Also, there seems to be no systematic reason...

The ESC periodically prioritizes some of the larger sets and forwards a
list to the UTC.

>If an emoji proposal is well-formed and fits the general scope it should
be forwarded to UTC.

Emoji are a relatively small part of the work of the consortium, and should
remain that way. So the UTC depends on the ESC to evaluate the quality and
priority of proposals, based on the factors described.

> Others are outdated, for instance because the larger set they have been
added to has already been processed by UTC and they were declined. Some
categories have only a single entry, others are clearly aliases of each
other or subcategories.
> I would like to help clean up the data, e.g. by commenting on the Google
Spreadsheet that is embedded on the Unicode page. How can I do that as an
individual member?

That would be helpful, thanks. What I would suggest is taking a copy of the
sheet, dumping into a spreadsheet (Google or Excel) and adding a column for
your suggestions. You can then submit that. Note that the numbers are just
to provide a count, there is no binding connection between them and the
rest of the line.

Mark

Mark