Fwd: RFC 8369 on Internationalizing IPv6 Using 128-Bit Unicode

Mark E. Shoulson via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Apr 2 19:42:21 CDT 2018

For unique identifiers for every person, place, thing, etc, consider
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universally_unique_identifier which are
indeed 128 bits.

What makes you think a single "glyph" that represents one of these
3.4⏨38 items could possibly be sensibly distinguishable at any sort of
glance (including long stares) from all the others?  I have an idea for
that: we can show the actual *digits* of some encoding of the 128-bit
number.  Then just inspecting for a different digit will do.

Now, what about a registry for "important" (and
not-necessarily-important) UUIDs for key things and people, which
associates them with an image of some kind?  Some sort of global icon?
And indeed, perhaps used for Internet-of-Things-like things?  Not
necessarily a bad idea—but decidedly outside of the scope of Unicode.
(Maybe you could even assign your beloved sentences to some UUIDs and
stick them in such a registry.  Again, who knows, maybe a decent idea.
But it ain't Unicode.)

~mark