Fwd: RFC 8369 on Internationalizing IPv6 Using 128-Bit Unicode

J Decker via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Apr 2 14:04:15 CDT 2018

I was really hoping this was a joke... it didn't hit me it was April 1...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_(Unicode)

PlaneAllocated code points[note 1]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_(Unicode)#cite_note-5>Assigned
characters[note 2]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_(Unicode)#cite_note-6>

Totals 280,016 136,755
almost 50% used now.

Though that table omits 655,350 code points as 'unassigned' so it's really
only about 16% (1/6) used

using only 4-byte utf8 or 2 byte utf-16...

and of those, that's only 20(plus or minus a faction of 1) bits?

so a proposal of something a power of 6 larger than that when even just 1
more bit gives another million characters....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dictionaries_by_number_of_words

I guess if it was encoded every word as a single code point... that
wouldn't be enough seems about  7,716,121 words...  so.. 24 bits. plus 1 to
double it for good measure?

*shrug*