Unicode Emoji 5.0 characters now final

Martin J. Dürst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Thu Mar 30 03:42:55 CDT 2017

On 2017/03/30 06:17, Christoph Päper wrote:
> Mark Davis ☕️ <mark at macchiato.com>:

>> That isn't really the case. In particular, vendors can propose adding
>> additional subdivisions to the recommended list.
>
> Awesome, "vendors" can do that. (._.m)
>
> If I made an open-source emoji font that contained flags for all of the 5000ish
> ISO 3166-2 codes that actually map to one, would I automatically be considered a
> vendor?

I don't think so. But if you want to get more flags listed, then
creating actual flags, with suitable licenses, and telling others to use
them and tell other, and so on, may easily reach vendors sooner or later.

> - <https://github.com/twitter/twemoji/>
> - <https://github.com/Ranks/emojione/>
> - <https://github.com/googlei18n/noto-emoji>
> - <https://github.com/behdad/region-flags> <-
> <https://github.com/googlei18n/noto-emoji/tree/master/third_party/region-flags>
>
> The last one currently already has support for UK countries, US states and
> Canadian provinces. Go figure.

And most if not all of these flags are from Wikimedia. So that shows
that open source has some influence, even without money.

Regards,   Martin.