Unicode Emoji 5.0 characters now final

Charlotte Buff irgendeinbenutzername at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 18:45:43 CDT 2017

Richard Wordingham wrote:

> I don't see why the tag characters can't be represented by some form of
> corresponding ASCII characters as a fallback registering. The
> bracketing pair U+1F3F4 WAVING BLACK FLAG .. U+E007F CANCEL TAG
> declares a sequence of 3 to 6 intervening ordinary tags to be a flag
> emoji, and in an OpenType font a GSUB contextual substitution can
> easily convert unrecognised sequences to modified ASCII characters. It
> does not have to explicitly handle each possible combination.

I suppose this is an adequate solution, but it*’*s also needlessly
convoluted in comparison to RIS where good fallback behaviour just happens
automatically with only the most bare-bones font feature imaginable, i.e.
simply displaying single characters one after another as they would appear
anyways. It is also questionable whether most vendors are going to employ
such system in the first place.