Unicode Emoji 5.0 characters now final

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon Mar 27 16:39:53 CDT 2017

Ken Whistler wrote:

> As for how "users" are supposed to know the difference. Well, they
> don't. What matters is that the data file that the "implementers" will
> use has these 3 emoji tag sequences in it, so that is quite likely
> what everybody will see added to their phones. The "users" will just
> see 3 more flags.

So, no provision for a UI like the one I'm building, to let users select
a region or subdivision and generate the corresponding sequence? Mmh.
Well, anyway.

> And if they want a flag of California (or whatever), then they need to
> badger the platform vendors, who will then come back to the Emoji SC,
> saying, "Help! We need to add a flag of California, or people won't
> buy our phones!"

The way nobody will buy their phones unless they support all 5 skin
tones for all 3 flavors of "vampire" or "elf" or "fairy" or "person in
lotus position"? Those are also generative mechanisms, but not limited
to just a couple of combinations deemed worthy.

If flags have to be added one by one, a lot of them (including the
really useful ones, like California and Bavaria) will probably never
happen.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org