Encoding of old compatibility characters

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Mar 27 12:18:34 CDT 2017

On 27 Mar 2017, at 17:49, Markus Scherer <markus.icu at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the interest has been low because very few documents survive in these encodings, and even fewer documents using not-already-encoded symbols.

That doesn’t mean that the few people who may need the characters now or in the centuries to come shouldn’t have them. If we’ve encoded some characters like these for compatibility, it’s only fair to be thorough.

> In my opinion, this is a good use of the Private Use Area among a very small group of people.

I’d say not, since they’d be using some encoded characters and having to augment it with some PUA characters.

> See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ConScript_Unicode_Registry

That’s not for this sort of thing at all at all. The UCS is for this sort of thing.

Michael Everson

> ​PS: I had a ZX 81, then a Commodore 64, then an Atari ST, and at school used a Commodore PET...

Lucky man. :-)