New tool unidump

Manuel Strehl boldewyn at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 15:44:15 CDT 2017

Hi,

for my work on codepoints.net and Emojipedia I found myself repeatedly
in a place, where I needed some tool like hexdump to inspect the content
of a string. However, instead of raw bytes I am more interested in the
code points that the string is composed of. So I wrote this tool.

I reasoned, that it might come in handy for other people on this list.
It is, conveniently, named unidump and can be installed via pip (pip3,
that is, because it needs Python 3):

    pip3 install unidump

The source code is available on Github,
https://github.com/Codepoints/unidump, and the tool is MIT licensed. The
README on Github also explains some other use cases, like counting code
points in a file (as opposed to bytes) or using it as a replacement for
strings(1).

If you have any comment, feedback, bug report or other questions, I'm
glad to answer any of those.

Cheers and have a nice weekend,
Manuel