Superscript and Subscript Characters in General Use

Marcel Schneider charupdate at orange.fr
Wed Jan 18 05:31:44 CST 2017

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 02:02:02 +0100, Christoph Päper wrote:

> Marcel Schneider <charupdate_at_orange.fr>:
> >
> > What typically happens with the correct use of fraction slash on a collaborative
> > website like Wikipedia, is that the superscripts and subscripts are restored,
>
> JFTR, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Frac> has been using the fraction
> slash for many years, but (still) pairs it with HTML/CSS super- and subscripts.

Thank you for drawing our attention to this. That has the potential to help in
Unicode education, and to spread the word about the full nature of U+2044 as it
is intended in the Standard and implemented in HarfBuzz.

Though what this template actually does is apply generic HTML super/sub scripting:

Given that this displays worse than when fractions are hard-coded with
Unicode super/sub scripts, Iʼve added some CSS but in the French template only,
that is not locked:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod%C3%A8le:Fraction
(BTW when Iʼve come on it, it didnʼt use U+2044, so Iʼve imported the template
from en-wiki, and then from de-wiki:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorlage:Bruch
), and added some notes to the template documentation.

I’ll have to track the issue on the talk page of en-wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template_talk:Frac#Template-protected_edit_request_on_17_January_2017

You are welcome to add to it. Please feel free. Thanks.

Regards,
Marcel