Superscript and Subscript Characters in General Use

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jan 4 06:43:50 CST 2017

Linguistically, it is an apostrophe, even if it's represented by a single
quote (same as in French), because the "letter apostrophe" is not used
(that letter apostrohpe was encoded in Unicode very late and there's no
desire to change the mappings in French or Scottish). If you think it is a
substitute only because the very superficial apparence of that superscript
c, I think it is just a hack used by some old printer that did not have
that letter in their case box. In 1798 printing a book was expensive and
metal fonts were also costly, and writers acepted some minor transforms of
their manuscript by the printer (and frequent typos as well). Later
reeditions frequently correct these typos.

Note that in French the right single quote is normally not used at all as a
quotation mark, and when it appears between two letters it is unambiguously
an apostrophe. I think the letter apostrophe was addede later in Unicode
only for English to allow distrinctions. But I've rarely seen used. Later
it was used as a substitute for a glottal stop in some
Polynesian/Melanesian languages but the actual character was encoded and is
preferable (its glyph is distinctive).