Superscript and Subscript Characters in General Use

John W Kennedy john.w.kennedy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 05:44:14 CST 2017

No it isn’t. It isn’t an apostrophe; it’s a left single quote, although some modern printers mistakenly suppose it to be an apostrophe, and substitute one. And it isn’t an elision; it’s meant as a substitute glyph for a superscript c. (I confess that, not being from Scotland, I thought it to be an elision for over fifty years, but when I was preparing a transcription of William Dunlap’s “André: a Tragedy in Five Acts” [New York, 1798], in which a character named “M‘Donald” plays a major role, I looked into the matter, and was surprised to learn the truth.)