The (Klingon) Empire Strikes Back

David Faulks davidj_faulks at yahoo.ca
Fri Nov 4 12:41:44 CDT 2016

> On Thu, 11/3/16, Mark Shoulson <mark at kli.org> wrote:
> Subject: The (Klingon) Empire Strikes Back

> At the time of writing this letter it has not yet hit the UTC
> Document Register, but I have recently submitted a document
> revisiting the ever-popular issue of the encoding of Klingon
> "pIqaD".  The reason always given why it could not be
> encoded was that it did not enjoy enough usage, and so I've
> collected a bunch of examples to demonstrate that this is not
> true (scans and also web pages, etc.)  So the issue comes
> back up, and time to talk about it again.

There is another issue of course, which I think could be a huge obstacle: the Trademark/Copyright issue. Paramount claims copyright over the entire Klingon language (presumably including the script). The issue has recently gone to court. Encoding criteria for symbols (and this likely extends to letters) is against encoding them without the permission of the Copyright/Trademark holder.

Is Paramount endorsing your proposal?

<snip>

> ~mark

David Faulks