Swapcase for Titlecase characters

Martin J. Dürst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Sat Mar 19 06:54:51 CDT 2016

Thanks everybody for the feedback.

On 2016/03/19 04:33, Marcel Schneider wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2016, 08:43:56, Martin J. Dürst  wrote:

>> b) Convert to upper (or lower), which may simplify implementation.

>> For example, 'Džinsi' (jeans) would become 'DžINSI' with a), 'DŽINSI' (or
>> 'džinsi') with b), and 'dŽINSI' with c). For another example, 'ᾨδή' would
>> become 'ᾨΔΉ' with a), 'ὨΙΔΉ' (or 'ᾠΔΉ') with b), and 'ὠΙΔΉ' with c).

> Looking at your examples, I would add a case that typically occurs for swapcase to be applied:

> ‘ᾠΔΉ’ (cited [erroneously] as a result of option b) that is to be converted to ‘ᾨδή’, and ‘džINSI’, that is to become ‘Džinsi’.

First, what do you mean with "erroneously"?

Second, did I get this right that your additional case (let's call it
d)) would cycle through the three options where available:
lower -> title -> upper -> lower.

> As about decomposing digraphs and ypogegrammeni to apply swapcase: That probably would be doing no good,
> as itʼs unnecessary and users wonʼt expect it.

Why do you say "users won't expect it"? For those users not aware of the
encoding internals, I'd indeed guess that's what users would expect, at
least in the Croatian case. For Greek, it may be different; it depends
on the extent to which the iota is seen as a letter vs. seen as a mark.

Regards,   Martin.