transliteration of mjagkij znak (Cyrillic soft sign)

Konstantin Ritt ritt.ks at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 08:36:51 CST 2016

In Ukrainian, for example, both “ь” and “`” are used.
“ь” is used for softer pronounce of the preceding consonant ( тіньовий ),
whilst “`” is used for splitting them, like if they were the first letter
in a word, even when the next vowel sounds soft otherwise ( пом`якшення --
the last “я” sounds softer the former one ).

Regards,
Konstantin