Case for letters j and J with acute

David Faulks davidj_faulks at yahoo.ca
Tue Feb 9 15:23:36 CST 2016

>On Tue, 2/9/16, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

<text cut>

> This is only a font problem, not an Unicode problem. For
> me the IJ (or ij) with combining double accent is correct.
> Tell this to font authors so they fix their common fonts in
> later versions (here Microsoft, Adobe, Apple and Google,
> possibly others, should be hearing your issue for popular
> OS'es and applications).

Perhaps Unicode could create a ‘default position’ property for combining characters, and encourage OpenType and other font engines to adopt it for automatic use when no other font information is provided. Adoption would take a while, but I cannot help but think that otherwise, this issue will never go away.

David