transliteration of mjagkij znak (Cyrillic soft sign)

Martin Heijdra mheijdra at Princeton.EDU
Tue Feb 9 08:14:51 CST 2016

And so it is, also in the library world both before and after Unicode: for miagkii znak the prime is prescribed. The prime is also prescribed for some uses for standard transliteration in Tibetan and Hebrew/Arabic/Persian/Pushto:

See:e.g. the relevant tables on https://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/roman.html:

Tibetan: When two full forms of letters are stacked, as in Sanskritized Tibetan, there is no need to indicate the stacking. However, in the two cases noted here a modified letter prime should be inserted between the two consonants for the purpose of disambiguation.

ཏྶ་

tʹsa

ཙ་

tsa

ནྱ་

nʹya

ཉ་

nya

Hebrew: A single prime ( ʹ ) is placed between two letters representing two distinct consonantal sounds when the combination might otherwise be read as a digraph.

hisʹhid

Persian: When the affix and the word with which it is connected grammatically are written
separately in Persian, the two are separated in romanization by a single prime
( ʹ ).

khānahʹhā

Martin Heijdra