Localizable sentences (from Re: Plain text (from Re: Avoidance variants))

Michael Norton michaelanortonster at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 10:50:22 CDT 2015

Re: ListServ, is there any way for me to deprecate conversations I am not
privvy to from the start of them, having just joined yesterday?

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 9:51 AM, William_J_G Overington <
wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Doug Ewell wrote as follows.
>

> > It's the same as one of the concerns I have with encoding localizable
> sentences as characters.
> There aren't 20 or 50 or 100 sentences that people might want localized,
> but crores of them.
>

> Well, that seems like an example of a status point moving along a path
> upon the surface of a cusp catastrophe manifold in a mathematical model of
> decision making produced as an application of catastrophe theory.
>

> One instant there is a desire by people for zero of them to be encoded,
> then the next instant there is the desire by people for crores of them to
> be encoded.
>

> Please read the following post, where the quoted sentence is one
> originally from Doug.
>

> http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2011-m01/0103.html
>

> Yes, implementing localizable sentences technology may well be modelled by
> catastrophe theory. Whatever was said then and whatever is said now, there
> may be a sudden change in what people want and localizable sentences
> technology would become implemented quite quickly.
>

> I cannot implement it on my own, and maybe if implementation takes place I
> would play little or indeed no part in implementing it, yet maybe one day
> it will become implemented.
>

> I am hoping that it will be implemented in time for the 2020 Olympiad,
> including the Cultural Olympiad.
>

> William Overington

Michael A. Norton, B.A. Cinema, M.P.A.
My Cinema Home: http://www.NortonsNook.com

"All great actors are mere mathematical masters of speech and the human
body."