CSUR Tonal

David Starner prosfilaes at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 04:32:36 CDT 2015

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Luke Dashjr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> On Saturday, March 14, 2015 9:27:56 PM David Starner wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 9:17 AM, Luke Dashjr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
>> > Does Unicode give any relevance to non-visual rendering, or do TTS
>> > just need to settle for environmental hints (eg, the user explicitly
>> > telling it tonal numbers are in use)?
>>
>> How do you tell a chemist from the general populace? Ask them to
>> pronounce "unionized" (that is, is it "un-ion-ized" or "union-ized")?
>> Is 700-9000 pronounced "seven hundred minus nine thousand" or "seven
>> oh oh dash nine oh oh oh"?
>
> These are mere pronunciation/linguistic differences, though. The cases I am
> talking about are entirely different meanings/words.

Un-ion-ized and union-ized are two completely different words.
Different meanings, different pronunciations, different etymologies.

> That is, 100 decimal is "one hundred" with a binary value of 110 0100.
> But the same "100" in tonal would be "san" with a binary value of 1 0000 0000.

And -6300 is the same thing as a phone number? And as I said, there
are a number of characters that look similar in Unicode, and the one
found on a keyboard is commonly used for the less common one. Adding
new characters doesn't magically add support for them, and even very
popular characters suffer from the fact that a keyboard supports about
100 characters easily, with typists learning a handful of necessary
multikey characters. There is no reason to assume that anyone would
use your new digits even if they were encoded.

> And in the other example, one is "B with double lines" vs "bitcoins".

And ! is "exclamation point" and "not" and "factorial". Currency
symbols are not usually unified with other symbols, and combining
overlays are usually discouraged, so LATIN CAPITAL LETTER B +
COMBINING DOUBLE VERTICAL STROKE OVERLAY will probably not block the
encoding of a bitcoin symbol. Being unifiable with ฿, on the other
hand, will. A lack of actual use will as well.

--
Kie ekzistas vivo, ekzistas espero.