UDHR in Unicode: 400 translations in text form!

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jun 28 14:20:32 CDT 2015

Note: The marker icons showing languages in the Leaflet component (over the
OSM map) are not working (broken links)

GET
http://www.unicode.org/udhr/cdn/cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/leaflet/0.7.3/images/marker-icon.png
: HTTP error 404 (Not Found)

Also the locations assigned of some international languages is strange:

Esperanto is mapped in France at the location where we would expect Picard
[pcd], Picard is located in a location just near the border of Belgium,
where this is actually the local "ch'ti" variant, spoken in the French
Flanders aound Lille. Standard French is located not in Paris but near
Orleans where we would expect the Orleanais regional variant of French.

In fact the nearer location for French gives us Interlingua instead, whose
usage in France is much more rare than in other countries (may be it was
created there and there's still some local associations promoting it from
there). I was expecting to find Interlingua somewhere between South America
and Asia. But in fact I would have placed those international languages
somewhere in the middle of an ocean, just aligned vertically in a list
along a meridian (across the Atlantic or Pacific for example)

----

Some languages do have an ISO 639-3 code. E.g.
- Tetum, official in Timor-Leste, is currently "coded" as "010" (mapped to
"und" in ISO 639-3), it should be "tet".
- Forro (Saotomense) is a Portuguese-based creole in Sao Tome, currently
"coded" as "007" (mapped to "und"), it should use "cri".
- Kimbundu should also use "kmb" and not "009"
- Umbundo (Umbundu) should also use "umb" and not "011"