Adding RAINBOW FLAG to Unicode

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Jun 27 19:33:51 CDT 2015

Noah Slater <nslater at tumbolia dot org> wrote:

> I found this:
>
>> [...] the UTC does not wish to entertain further proposals for
>> encoding of symbol characters for flags, whether national, state,
>> regional, international, or otherwise. References to UTC Minutes:
>> [134-C2], January 28, 2013.
>
> http://www.unicode.org/alloc/nonapprovals.html

I think the phrase "or otherwise" above might have been intended to mean
"or otherwise."

> I looked up the minutes, but could not find a more detailed
> explanation. My guess is that these concerns related to geopolitical
> issues. Hopefully the same rationale does not apply to the rainbow
> flag.

My guess is that one reason certain rejected requests are added to the
Archive of Notices of Non-Approval is so that the UTC doesn't have to
haul out their original explanation or re-argue the same points when the
same request, or a similar one, is made again.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO ����