Another take on the English apostrophe in Unicode

David Starner prosfilaes at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 09:13:04 CDT 2015

On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 2:43 AM QSJN 4 UKR <qsjn4ukr at gmail.com> wrote:

> The conflict is between linguists and programmers.

No, it's not.

> Yes it is ambiguous!
> It is. It just is! Linguists say "It is. We see that. We know that".

"Now you programmers find some way to deal with that so you can produce
useful corpuses for linguistic work." Which is what this is all about, is
producing good linguistic interpretations of plain text, for, among others,
linguists whose supply of scanned text has exceeded their ability to
hand-process it.

> Modifier letter apostrophe is a letter that used as itself and means
> itself (ejective sound e.g.) only. Don't use it else. It just make
> more confusion.

If you don't know what language a text is in, you can't tell what sounds
letters make. Adding this character to English's repertoire won't change
that.