Input methods at the age of Unicode

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Sat Jul 18 10:31:02 CDT 2015

> Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 16:33:23 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Marcel Schneider <charupdate at orange.fr>
>
> > FWIW, I do that a lot, because the number of convenient input methods
> > in Emacs far outnumbers what I have on MS-Windows. For example, if I
> > have to type Russian with no Russian keyboard available, the
> > cyrillic-translit input method is a life savior.
>
> You might wish also to use the Windows on-screen keyboard which allows to see
> what's exactly on each key while typing on whatever physical keyboard, without
> any need to have the keycap labels match the layout. This on-screen keyboard is
> built-in, only it does not support Kana shift states.

That makes typing much more slow, unless you already know, at least
approximately, where the keys are.  you are talking to someone who is
almost touch typist in English, but cannot remember for the life of me
the Russian keyboard.  Transliteration is the way to go in such cases,
and it's strange that transliteration-based input methods are not
readily available on Windows out of the box.