[OT] Versioning flags (was: Re: Adding RAINBOW FLAG to Unicode)

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Jul 2 15:58:54 CDT 2015

Or not: http://www.newfijiflag.com

> and the overthrown is internationally recongized with new flags and
> thus being accepted, then what appear on one's timeline of their
> social media would have their meaning shifted to the opposing side of
> their original intention by simply updating their device, and for
> those who haven't update their device they would see same effect from
> message written by those who have already updated their devices. a
> potential way to do it might be adding RIS for number and then append
> those numbers after alphabetical RIS to show year of start while
> retaining the unnumbered alphabetical RIS as they are today?

This would be a great reason to remind users of emoji flags not to try
to use them to indicate an "intention" that can have an "opposing side,"
such as loyalty or support for a particular political party or
government. They aren't for that.

A proper coding standard for flags (NOT in scope for Unicode) might have
this sort of versioning feature, but even then, I would think the
default (unversioned) behavior should be to select the "current" flag,
whatever that is.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO ����