Is there an IBM group mark symbol?

Frédéric Grosshans frederic.grosshans at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 11:45:26 CST 2015

Le 30/01/2015 17:55, Ken Shirriff a écrit :
> I'm writing about the IBM 1401 and there's one character from its
> character set that I couldn't find in Unicode: the group mark. The
> group mark is three horizontal lines with a vertical line through it
> (see attached image). This character is used in various books and
> publications, so it's a "real" symbol that is used in text. Would it
> make sense for me to submit a proposal to add this character?

In may 2007, Ken Whistler answered a slightly more general question on
old IBM characters :

http://unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2007-m05/0373.html

The group mark was the more problematic and his answer was :

  * You can see it as a glyph variant of ␝ U+241D SYMBOL FOR GROUP SEPARATOR
  * You can have a symbol of the same appearance by combining ≡⃒ U+2261
    IDENTICAL TO, U+20D2 COMBINING LONG VERTICAL LINE OVERLAY.

However, none of the solution would seem to be really practical, and I
didn’t find any corresponding symbol (including the variants in
http://unicode.org/Public/UCD/latest/ucd/StandardizedVariants.txt ). A
proposal might help add it to the standard.

     Frédéric