Is there an IBM group mark symbol?

Jean-François Colson jf at
Fri Jan 30 11:31:14 CST 2015

Le 30/01/15 18:30, Jean-François Colson a écrit :
Le 30/01/15 17:55, Ken Shirriff a écrit :
> I'm writing about the IBM 1401 and there's one character from its 
> character set that I couldn't find in Unicode: the group mark. The 
> group mark is three horizontal lines with a vertical line through it 
> (see attached image). This character is used in various books and 
> publications, so it's a "real" symbol that is used in text. Would it 
> make sense for me to submit a proposal to add this character?

Why not?
In the meantime, you could approximate it with U+2261 IDENTICAL TO 
Here is what that looks like in FreeMono:≡⃒.png
and in DejaVu Sans Mono:≡⃒..png

> Group mark image (from 
> Thank you,
> Ken
> _______________________________________________
> Unicode mailing list
> Unicode at

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/gif
Size: 855 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <>

More information about the Unicode mailing list