About cultural/languages communities flags

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Thu Feb 12 22:15:56 CST 2015

RIS could represent languages as well, using BCP47 principle, except that
they start by an ISO
3166 coide (as there's no territory, you'd normally use a 3166 code for
undetermined region, but there's no 3166 code that starts by an hyphen.
So to use a BCP47 language tag you could use the hyphen reencoded to RIS as
the first character.
The problem is that langauge codes in BCP47 have variable sizes. Even if
you limit just to the ISO639 compatible repertoire (3 letter codes) you'd
need to use 4 RIS codes
And the language flags would be represented as RIS(HYPHEN)+RIS(ISO639-3
code).

4 codes would work with font rendering engines that can build 3 successive
ligatures from left to right

If there's no match for a know flag (or if there's an exact multiple of 4
RIS codes), the default glyphs would just show a blank flag frame showing
the RIS Code converted back to ASCII letters (rendered with a small
capitals style: where the first glyph shows the flag's hoist and the first
RIS code and i.e. the hyphen, the 2nd and 3rd gyphs shows the top/bottom
part of the blank frame an the ASCII character the 4th glyph is similar but
adds the flying end of the flag, possibly decorated with non rectangular
frame). If there remains less than 4 RIS codes, the flag frame would add
the flying end of the flag, with no letter (or just the SPACE).. The wole
would be in a large dotted frame to exhibit the special format.

These default glyphs are easy to produce in the font. Then to support more
languages (7000 languages : 7000 flags ? certainly not so many exist...),
you just have to map new ligatures to replace the default ligatures by more
accurate "flags".

But my opinion is that "flags" (even ifshowing them generically) are not
the cood concept for languages (I would highly prefer a "speech bubble
frame" like on comics, even if some applications could render in them a
colorful regional flag., or the letter code within the "sonor waves" of an
audio speaker device.