About cultural/languages communities flags

Markus Scherer markus.icu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 15:21:06 CST 2015

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Joan Montané <joan at montane.cat> wrote:

> AFAIK, this is done in font side. Emoji flags are just ligatures, so a
> font can provide a ligature for 4 RIS characters.

Technically true, but a font that violates the encoding standard would
cause large problems. Imagine a font that ligates letters 't' and 'h' and
displays an Egyptian hieroglyph for the combination.

What's the way for encoding them in Unicode standard?

In principle, the way for encoding anything in the Unicode Standard is to
write a well-formed proposal, and convince the Unicode Technical Committee
and ISO JTC1/SC2 that the proposal has merit.

However, I would much prefer if everyone spent their considerable energy on
upgrading protocols (e.g., IETF RFCs for email subject lines) and lobby
relevant vendors (e.g., chat services & social network messages) to support
images embedded in the text stream, ideally with scaling and other behavior
that would make them behave somewhat text-like.

Best regards,
markus