Re: Combined Yorùbá characters with dot below and tonal diacritics

Andrew Cunningham lang.support at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 05:38:52 CDT 2015

On 12/04/2015 7:27 PM, "Ilya Zakharevich" <nospam-abuse at ilyaz.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 07:07:01AM +0200, Philippe Verdy wrote:

> > MSKLC does not provide a way to build another geometry and map geometric
> > keys to vkeys (or the revers).
>
> Again, this has nothing to do with MSKLC.

If you are compiling a keyboard driver from source, then it has nothing to
do with MSKLC.

But for a general answer, for the average user who needs to develop a
keyboard, then MSKLC is very pertinent.

> > Note also that (since always), MSKLC generated drivers have never
allowed
> > us to change the mapping of scancodes (from hardware keyboards) to
virtual
> > keys, aka "vkeys", or to "WM_SYSKEY" (this is hardwired in a lower
internal
> > level).
>
> Wrong.  Look for any French or German keyboard.

Microsoft has a tendency never to change a keyboard or how it operates,
there is a lot of bad design decisions and cruft that is still there. Just
because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

> > These drivers only map sequences of one or more "vkeys" (and a few
> > supported states, it's not possible to add keyboard states other than
CTRL,
> > SHIFT, CAPSLOCK, ALTGR2, and custom states for dead keys)
>
> How do you think I do it in my layout?

There are Microft keyboard layouts that use other states, the Canadian
multilingual keyboard comes to mind, mainly to comply with a canadian
standard. But microsoft themselves recommend remaining to the four keyboard
states Phillipe lists.

> > to only one WM_CHAR.
>
> I have no idea why you would mix in WM_* stuff into this discussion…

Depending on your perspective it is pertinent or not.

> > And it's not possible to change the mapping of vkeys to WM_SYSCHAR
> > (this is also hardwired at a lower level).
>
> I have no clue what you are talking about now…

Andrew