Terms for rotations

Jean-François Colson jf at colson.eu
Mon Nov 10 17:43:05 CST 2014

Le 10/11/14 22:36, Ilya Zakharevich a écrit :
> On Fri, Nov 07, 2014 at 02:39:58PM -0800, Garth Wallace wrote:
>> I'm leaning towards "turned", "left rotated", and "right rotated" for
>> the cardinal orientations,
> Please keep in mind that left/right are especially bad terms to
> describe rotations.  When you rotate the character cell about its
> center, some parts move to the right, some parts move to the
> left — both when the rotation is clockwise and counterclockwise.
> Which of the words left/right LOOKS better suited to describe a
> particular rotation depends on whether the top or the bottom OF WHAT
> YOU ROTATE is more “visually important”.  (We saw it many times when
> discussing the math of the rotations with small kids.)  Try to rotate
> ↓ left ;-].
>    (I believe that people associate left ↔ counterclockwise etc only
>     because for many shapes, visually, the bottom is just a pedestal
>     for the top.  So you “grab” the shape “on top”.]

Look at this picture: 
Imagine you sit in this car and you want to turn RIGHT. What will you 
do? Will you turn the driving wheel clockwise or counterclockwise?

More information about the Unicode mailing list