["Unicode"] tablature characters for the Chinese guqin

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Fri May 30 00:47:51 CDT 2014

> China National Body had ever reported that they had a plan to
> encode the character for the tablature, in IRG: [...]

Thanks.

> BTW, a few (only one?) characters for the latter style are sampled
> in a normal dictionary "CiYuan", and will be included in CJK Unified
> Ideograph Extension F. However, I don't think encoding only one
> glyph for the tablature is so useful - there is any avantgarde
> number using only one note?

Well, the very structure of the guqin tablature characters is this:

               mod1   mod2

                base char

               mod3   mod4

The number of `modifiers' varies, but according to the literature it
can go up to six and more.  Given that a modifier is usually a digit,
and that we have a bunch of base characters, we easily reach 100000
and more characters if all possible permutations are encoded, and this
is certainly not what Unicode wants :-)

    Werner