Pali in Thai Script

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 15:08:29 CDT 2014

Hi, Chris,

Besides the scripts you mention, there is also Tai Tham as Richard
mentioned.

In theory, writing a utility to convert Pali written in any of those
scripts to any one of the other scripts should not be too difficult but ...
:

* Modern phonetically-based Lao lacks some of the traditional letters that
are still preserved in Thai and other scripts.

* At least as far as Tai Tham goes, it seems that Tai Tham spelling is not
consistent with Central Thai spelling when it comes to Sanskrit and
Pali-derived words ... I don't really know much about this -- just my own
limited observations. Probably somebody else here like Richard Wordingham
or Martin Hosken knows a lot more about this than I do ...

... so maybe in reality it is not so simple to do?