Websites in Hindi

Bill Poser billposer2 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 13:39:51 CST 2014

In my experience the problem with Hindi web sites is that many of them used
encodings other than unique, frequently encodings designed for a particular
font. Some fonts did not use anything like a normal encoding. We
encountered a newspaper that used a font with 8,000-some glyphs each
representing a graphical piece of a Devanagari character or character
cluster.  I don't know to what extent the use of of such parochial fonts
and encodings persists. The sites I have seen using Unicode look fine.