Corrigendum #9

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Mon Jun 2 11:21:23 CDT 2014

That’s what I think is exactly what should be clarified.  A cooperating system of apps should likely use some other markup, however if they want to use FFFF to say “OK to insert ad here” (or whatever), that’s up to them.

I fear that the current wording says “Because you might have a cooperating system of apps that all agree FFFF is ‘OK to insert ad here’, you may as well emit FFFF all the time just in case some other app happens to use the same sentinel”.

The “problem” is now that previously these characters were illegal, so my application didn’t have to explicitly remove them when importing external stuff because they weren’t allowed to be there.  With the wording of the corrigendum, the onus is on every app importing data to filter out these code points because they are “suddenly” legal in foreign data streams.

That is a breaking change for applications, and, worse, it isn’t in the control of the applications that take advantage of the newly laxer wording, but rather all the other applications on the planet, which may have been stable for years.

My interpretation of “interchanged” was “interchanged outside of a system that understood your private use of the noncharacters”.  I can see where that may not have been everyone’s interpretation, and maybe should be updated.  My interpretation of what you’re saying below is “sentinel values with a private meaning can be exchanged between apps”, which is what the PUA’s for.

I don’t mind at all if the definition is loosened somewhat, but if we’re turning them into PUA characters we should just turn them into PUA characters.

-Shawn