Unified Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics-Missing Syllable Characters

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Jul 17 16:10:19 CDT 2014

Frédéric Grosshans <frederic dot grosshans at gmail dot com> wrote:

> Similarly, I guess the encoding of the SP series could be useful for
> discussing the script history (as on wikipedia page)

I've gotten into trouble before for this sort of comment, but I'll take
my chances again:

Any time a character is suggested for encoding *in order to facilitate
talking about that character*, there are very few blobs and squiggles in
the course of human experience that would not qualify for encoding.

> and transcribing historic texts, like this 1841 Cree Hymn book (
> http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibliography/209/reader.html#17 ),
> which has, for example, a “SPI” on the third line, p. 16.

The Cree hymnbook would probably provide a stronger argument, assuming
the character in question is distinct and not a glyph variant or typo or
bug splat.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, USA
http://ewellic.org | @DougEwell