Noto adds CJK, plus new user-facing website

Andrew West andrewcwest at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 03:30:48 CDT 2014

On 16 July 2014 00:33, Roozbeh Pournader <roozbeh at unicode.org> wrote:
> Please excuse the spam, but I think it would be interesting for people here
> to know that the Noto open source project now supports CJK, which brings it
> very close to the goal of supporting every major script (and several minor
> and historical ones).
>
> Here is the CJK announcement:
> http://googledevelopers.blogspot.com/2014/07/noto-cjk-font-that-is-complete.html

Fantastic news, but I personally think that the decision to include
the four characters at U+9FCD through U+9FD0 in the Adobe Source Han /
Noto Sans Simplified Chinese fonts (and U+9FD0 in the Traditional
Chinese fonts) is extremely premature given that these characters have
only just been added to the draft repertoire for ISO/IEC 10646:2014
Amd. 2, and have not yet completed even their first round of the ISO
balloting process.  As such the code point allocations are not stable,
and should not be used in fonts for public consumption.

Andrew