[counter-styles] i18n-ISSUE-339: Should Japanese spec styles match implementations or vice versa?

Richard Ishida ishida at w3.org
Sat Feb 15 05:45:24 CST 2014

[cc public-i18n-cjk and unicode at unicode.org to get some more eyes on this]

I don't think you revised the algorithm either. I think this discrepancy
has been around for a long time.

As Xidorn points out, we're talking here about characters that, yes,
exist in the kana set, but that are not often used or not often used in
this context.

That said, this whole spec is about being able to customise these lists
however you want. So in a sense the list of characters described in the
spec is a kind of default.

So I'm wondering whether, in that case, it's best to just document the
exisiting implementations, and allow people to modify the list if they
want.  Unless you have a list of over 44 items you won't meet the
problem anyway.

Just thinking out loud, really.

RI