Emoji [And crash in the Web interface to the mailing list]

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Thu Apr 3 02:25:15 CDT 2014

But then why did I these emoticons (using "ASCII art" with additional CJK
characters) correctly from the same mailing list ?
I did not see any dot, or squares for PUA, but the stars, triangle and some
kanas.

I don't think that the mailing list itself is broken (or may be Gmail
corrected things after).

You cannot always predict the encoding used by the effective sending
mailing agent (or the first reaying agent). Even Gmail will try to fit the
"best" (popular) legacy 8-bit encoding according to content and the
recipient (where it will try to geolocalize the target domain name, or use
its own knowledge of the languages and encodings most often used by senders
in that domain), instead of always sending with UTF-8, when the default
user settings are for using a "default" encoding if the user had not
specified that the mail would be forced to UTF-8.