Emoji [And crash in the Web interface to the mailing list]

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Wed Apr 2 21:51:26 CDT 2014

There was no such browser bug in my Chrome install GChrome (in Gmail)which
rendered the full string correctly (no dots, all characters displayed
properly).

So this looks like a Firefox bug. There's a rendering problem in IE, but no
such critical bug that breaks the rest of the page. It looks like a problem
of transcoding of emails by browsers (in Gmail, the transcoding to UTF-8 is
performed apparently by the web server, so Firefox does not break when
rendering the Gmail page).

It is posible that what is really broken is in fact another webmail
interface that incorrectly transcodes the email to UTF-8. I cannot know if
the broken rendering was performed on everyone's client, if he use a
webmail or standalone email agent. Many webmail services are broken in how
they transcode the mails received in order to embed its content in a UTF-8
web page.