What is the codepoint / sequence of codepoints to generate this symbol?

Jonathan Kew via Indic indic at unicode.org
Mon Jan 13 05:49:36 CST 2020

On 13/01/2020 11:29, आलोक कुमार (नौ दो ग्यारह) via Indic wrote:

> सोम, 13 जन॰ 2020 को 3:52 pm बजे को Manish Goregaokar via Indic
> <indic at unicode.org <mailto:indic at unicode.org>> ने लिखा:
>
>     The relevant Unicode proposals for these seem to be L2/07-343
>     <https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2007/07343-n3366-vedic.pdf> and
>     L2/08-273R3
>     <https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2008/08273r3-n3488r3-vedic.pdf> . They
>     seem to indicate that these are all equivalent to the anusvara,
>     though they may have restrictions on when they can be used.
>

> Thank you, Vinodh, Manish.
>
> It is indeed U+1CE7 followed by ं figure 8JB as defined in L2/07-343
> <https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2007/07343-n3366-vedic.pdf>
> Which is the same as U+1CEC followed by ं as defined in L2/08-273R3
> <https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2008/08273r3-n3488r3-vedic.pdf>
> Does the 2008-08-21 document supersede the 2007-10-18, or are they
> independent of each other? I understand that both of them are still
> proposals, and that means the codepoint can in theory change by the time
> it hits the standard. What's a recommended best practice for users until
> then?

Those were proposals at the time they were written, but if you check the
current Standard you'll find that U+1CEC is present in UnicodeData.txt:

     1CEC;VEDIC SIGN ANUSVARA VAMAGOMUKHA WITH TAIL;Lo;0;L;;;;;N;;;;;

According to DerivedAge.txt, it looks like it's been in the Standard
since v5.2.

So there's no question what codepoint to use. I guess your main issue
may be finding fonts that support it.

JK