Devanagari vowels - Alternative forms.

Bobby de Vos via Indic indic at unicode.org
Wed Dec 13 08:30:15 CST 2017

Greetings,

In a later email in this thread, John Hudson mentioned a method with
wider application support, which is to provide a separate font with the
desired features. With Annapurna SIL, we can do both (have a separate
font for applications that do not support smart font features, and
having the flexibility of glyph variants in  a single font). You can
make a custom version of Annapurna SIL with the desired glyph variants
at https://scripts.sil.org/ttw/fonts2go.cgi The resulting font would
work in applications that do not support smart font features.

Bobby

On 2017-12-12 12:57, Patrick Chew via Indic wrote:
> As it turns out, SIL's Anapurna font shows both sets of variants in a
> single font: https://software.sil.org/annapurna/, c.f.
> http://software.sil.org/downloads/r/annapurna/AnnapurnaSIL-features.pdf
>
> These differences are accessible only via applications that are smart
> feature capable, e.g. LibreOffice.
>
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 11:50 AM, Patrick Chew <patrick.chew at gmail.com
> <mailto:patrick.chew at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Chandas and Uttara are full fonts that ought to show the
>     differences... not a single font, however...
>
>     http://www.sanskritweb.net/cakram/
>     <http://www.sanskritweb.net/cakram/>
>
>     On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Anish V via Indic
>     <indic at unicode.org <mailto:indic at unicode.org>> wrote:
>
>         Thank you for the clarification.
>         Is there any font supporting this variant format?
>
>         On Dec 13, 2017 00:15, "Anshuman Pandey" <pandey at umich.edu
>         <mailto:pandey at umich.edu>> wrote:
>
>             Such variants generally do not appear concurrently as they
>             are part of stylistic sets associated with scribal and,
>             eventually, print traditions. Apart from अ, there are
>             variants for letters such as झ, भ, etc, and conjuncts such
>             as क्ष, ज्ञ, as well as digits, eg. ८, ९. These should be
>             handled typographically. But, it is unfortunate that a
>             user can’t specifically choose which alternate set they’d
>             like.
>
>             All my best,
>             Anshuman
>

>             On Dec 12, 2017, at 12:29 PM, Kiran Kumar Chava via Indic
>             <indic at unicode.org <mailto:indic at unicode.org>> wrote:
>
>>             Isn't it simply different font?
>>             Why can not a different font handle this?
>>             Are both used simultaneously in a single sentence?
>>
>>             On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Anish V via Indic
>>             <indic at unicode.org <mailto:indic at unicode.org>> wrote:
>>
>>                 Hello,
>>
>>                    Is there any current proposal to encode alternate
>>                 forms of Devanagari vowels? I don't think they are
>>                 archaic forms, we can see some in post independence
>>                 Indian coins also. The images of scripts and coins
>>                 are attached for reference.

>>             --
>>             ----
>>             ~Kiran Kumar Chava