Devanagari vowels - Alternative forms.

John Hudson via Indic indic at unicode.org
Tue Dec 12 20:31:35 CST 2017

On 12/12/17 17:03, Shriramana Sharma via Indic wrote:
> Do I understand correctly that Open Type features need to be specified
> as part of the standard? OTOH Graphite features don't and can just be
> provided by the font maker.

Interoperable OpenType Layout features need to be registered, so that
they have agreed upon behaviour and predictable results. In the case of
variant glyph forms such as the regional historical forms of Devanagari
letters, there are a few different ways in which these could be accessed
using existing variant glyph substitution (GSUB) features.

1. If associated with specific orthographic use, as defined by an OTL
Language System tag, then the Localised Forms <locl> feature can be
used. So this is the case for the subset of variant Devanagari forms
preferred in Marathi typography. However, in terms of historical
regional use for Sanskrit, this option is not available because there is
only one Language System tag associated with Sanskrit.

2. If associated as a variant set, as I understand the case to be with
the Sanskrit vowel letter forms, then these can be implemented via a
Stylistic Set <ss01...20> feature. A feature name can be associated with
the feature via the font name table, and this may be exposed in some UIs.

3. Variants of individual characters can be implemented using the
Character Variants <cv01...99> features.

Note that variants can be accessed using more than one feature, so it is
possible for variants to be associated with Language System tags, and as
stylistic sets, and as individual character variants.

The other way to provide variant forms, especially regional- or
language-specific sets, is as separate fonts. This is the most robust
mechanism, and hence why for the Murty Library typefaces we provided
separate Murty Hindi and Murty Sanskrit fonts (we expect to add a Murty
Marathi font in future).

JH

--

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

NOTE: In the interests of productivity, I am currently
dealing with email on only two days per week, usually
Monday and Thursday unless this schedule is disrupted
by travel. If you need to contact me urgently, please
use some other method of communication. Thank you.