How to disable Indic syllable form editing in MS word

Shriramana Sharma via Indic indic at unicode.org
Thu Dec 7 03:05:24 CST 2017

On 07-Dec-2017 4:51 AM, "Richard Wordingham via Indic" <indic at unicode.org>
wrote:

On Wed, 6 Dec 2017 18:47:36 +0530

> When one try to Find & replace any particular Unicode Character
> For Example
> to replace all
> 'ा' depended vowel AA
> with
> 'ि' depended vowel i
>
> it does not works.
>
> Only full syllable with ' ा' i.e. का, खा, गा, etc. has to be search
> and replaced one by one with many repeats.
>
> This takes too much time and unnecessary repeats.

@Richard he has a valid point, so no need to ask him whether he is really
an Indian! Where else would you want to search-replace a vowel sign except
as part of a grapheme cluster? Surely well formed normal text won't have
one of those standing alone?

> When one try to delete a Indic Character with delete key putting the
> cursor before a syllable, the right side entire syllable is being
> deleted.
>
> How to delete a particular character instead of entire syllable?

Press right arrow and use back space. You can't do it from the left.

> How to disable the Indic layout feature in MS word?

There is no option for this to my knowledge nor is there likely to be
(though not impossible).

> Would anybody guide please?

Are you a real Indian?  UTS#29
(https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr29/tr29-31.html) Section 3 Paragraph
1 strongly suggests that what you are trying to do is not natural.

Ok let's quote:

"Grapheme clusters commonly behave as units in terms of mouse selection,
arrow key movement, backspacing, and so on. For example, when a grapheme
cluster is represented internally by a character sequence consisting of
base character + accents, then using the right arrow key would skip from
the start of the base character to the end of the last accent.

However, in some cases editing a grapheme cluster element by element may be
preferable. For example, on a given system the backspace key might delete
by code point, while the delete key may delete an entire cluster."

This doesn't say anything about search and replace. There is unlikely to be
a universally acceptable or even applicable solution for intra grapheme
cursor placement. For example how would you indicate a cursor position in
front of or after a virama which has caused two consonants to ligate?

So IMO the issue is just with intra grapheme cursors and the current common
behaviour of cursors jumping cluster boundaries (and the resultant Del/BkSp
status) is perfectly fine, but search-replace operations need not be
limited by cursor positions and should work per character instead.

That way they are more useful because use cases such as Hariram's are
satisfied. Escape characters or search dialogue options can always be used
to request matches only of complete grapheme clusters just like currently
available for full words.

If OTOH, per character search replace is not provided for at all, that is
indeed a serious limitation IMO as in the old MS Word versions.