DHARMMA and SVA in Grantha

Kučera Jan kucera at lupacovka.cz
Sat Jul 9 15:53:09 CDT 2016

Hello,

I have an inscription in Grantha that says DHARMMA, see the attached picture, end of line 32 - namely the MMA is not ligatured. Does anyone have any suggestion how this should be represented in Unicode?

Technically, it should be DHA+RA+(VIRAMA+MA+[VIRAMA+]MA), I tried putting ZWJ and ZWNJ in various places, but the tricky part seems to be getting the reph after a non-joined cluster.

You can get the desired appearance using DHA+MA+RA+VIRAMA+MA, but I would rather have the underlying text accurate and deal with it at render time. The only idea I have is to create another ligature for MA+VIRAMA+MA and use OpenType features to switch to it. Or am I missing something obvious?

Second, there is a SVA ligature which seems to be pretty common in inscriptions. However, SA+VIRAMA+VA normally results in VA stacked below SA. What is the idea regarding choosing between stacked and ligatured clusters?

Thanks!
Jan