Locale bringup and barriers for entry

Philippe Verdy via CLDR-Users cldr-users at unicode.org
Sat Sep 22 10:17:24 CDT 2018

Le sam. 22 sept. 2018 à 13:10, Marcel Schneider via CLDR-Users <
cldr-users at unicode.org> a écrit :

> A good way to prepare — if not already done — is also to learn XML and
> more specifically LDML, the
> Unicode Locale Data Markup Language, in order to be able to read and
> submit data in that format:
>
> http://cldr.unicode.org/index/cldr-spec

But the CLDR Survey does not allow us to participate directly by submitting
LDML data (as submitted but unvetted provisional data) and then merging
them in our votes. It would considerably speedup the data submission (I
also think that such submissions should allow us to include some custom
"hashtag", that are usable in a search form in CLDR survey, so that we can
group related items together: we could have multiple hashtags, one for each
property we want to track in alternative groups, because these groups do
not necessarily form a partition of the data space, they are not
orthogonal).

Adding hashtags would also be possible in LDML for the whole LDML file or
parts of it. basicacally they would have the syntax of a space separated
list of keywords, themsevles not translated but used symbolically, and
using preferably a naming convention (CLDR admins could rename them in case
of collision, but this would not change the naming; if hashtags come from
user submission, they could be automatically prefixed by an identifier of
that user or organisation, such as "x-24-space" when user number 24
submitted data with a custom tag "space"; but the CLDR admin team could
create tags more freely without this prefix).

Any data time in CLDR could have one or several tags. These tags by default
would be visible only to that submitting user, separated from tags shared
and exposed to others (so that we can separate custom groups created by
users from groups to be reused by other people). This is much like tags
used in GitHub to help sort and search through a long list of bug reports
or RFEs.