bh & bho macro relationship

Mark Davis ☕️ via CLDR-Users cldr-users at unicode.org
Fri Mar 23 05:07:43 CDT 2018

The likely subtags are built to allow a certain degree of flexibility for
the implementations. That is, they don't normalize the source, but rather
maintain the "denormalizations". The most prominent example is:

<likelySubtag from="iw" to="iw_Hebr_IL"/>

<!--{ Hebrew; ?; ? } => { Hebrew; Hebrew; Israel }-->

<likelySubtag from="he" to="he_Hebr_IL"/>

<!--{ Hebrew; ?; ? } => { Hebrew; Hebrew; Israel }-->

Both are used, so that an implementation that uses 'iw' as the canonical
form (eg Java) can still use the data. Now, we don't include all the
possible denormalized forms, but we do include the ones that have in some
way been used in that fashion.

Most of the other data in CLDR doesn't have to have both forms, because it
doesn't contain language tags both in the 'input' and the 'output'.

Make sense?

Mark