Vietnamese Collation Wrong for Polysyllables

Richard Wordingham via CLDR-Users cldr-users at unicode.org
Thu Jan 11 20:01:14 CST 2018

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 10:03:31 +0100
Mark Davis ☕️ via CLDR-Users <cldr-users at unicode.org> wrote:

> The first question I'd have is whether the lexical ordering described
> in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_alphabet#Tone_marks is
> expected by average Vietnamese. We have seen before cases where a
> formal government specification (French accent ordering) is expected
> by nobody outside of a small group of mavens.

Looking through a selection of dictionaries, a notable feature is that
although the principle that the tone mark is an out-of-order primary is
maintained, the relative ordering of the marks varies from dictionary
to dictionary!  This may make it more difficult to assess the
alphabetical ordering rules actually expected by the Vietnamese.  What
syllable-by-syllable ordering means is that, inter alia, they expect
words or phrases with the same first syllable to be grouped together.