Enhanced support of bulk submission during partial or full survey (was: Re: Hard-to-use "annotations" files in LDML)

Marcel Schneider via CLDR-Users cldr-users at unicode.org
Tue Dec 4 17:58:45 CST 2018

On 02/12/2018 13:34, Christoph Päper via CLDR-Users wrote:
[…]
> editing the files directly […] is preferable for some tasks […].
> […] I can cope with it [XML].

As suggested in ticket #11646
https://unicode.org/cldr/trac/ticket/11646

it would be helpful when all new items and other priority items were summarized in one single
LDML file for quick localization in a text editor, which often involves bulk search-and-replace,
leaving alone the identifiers (values of `type` arguments) of course.

Doing the edits in a text editor has the additional benefit of easily checking the correct
non-breakable spaces when using appropriate software. (I’m using Gedit with the Draw Spaces
plugin installed and "Draw non-breaking spaces" enabled.)

It’s now up to the Community to look if that would be handy for everyone or at least for
many people, as setting up such a file just for a single community or worse, a single vetter
would be a non-starter.

Meanwhile we may already do it for our personal use and share the off-falling file(s) with
co-vetters.

This is a call for feedback.

Best wishes,
Marcel